This was fairly painless procedure: 1 shot did the trick.
LOTS Of googlefu was involved.
- Installed ideneb 10.5.6
- Screen went black after restart, so followed instructions somewhere to log in to the single user mode (f8 -s on darwin startup), mount the drive mount -uw /, and delete the AppelIntelGMA* files.
- Reboot, and we have a crappy looking osx launched.
- Now, I enabled root account, and downloaded the intel GMA950 kexts from http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=156261
- Reboot, and we have full res.
- Sound is not around, and neither is my wireless card (looks like I need to get a different one) but this accomplishes my goal of trying OSX to see if I would like it here for web development.